Tuesday, October 11, 2011

About Literature

I took literature as my subject not because I accidentally applied for it, in fact I was an economic student for a year before I decided to move to literature.

It is fun to study literature, world it self in my opinion is literature. Whatever we know now is something written ages ago. Literature it self is the door to the present, past, and future.

I learn to see something from different point of views, everything has it own reason.
From my thesis topic, I choose to analyze Memoirs of a Geisha, a story of a girl who willing to do anything to get closer to the man that she loved. Ironically speaking, she sacrificed her virginity to be recognized by people and the man she loved.

I also learn about symbolism. It is kinda fun yet confusing to learn it. How can an animal farm symbolize a corrupt government and how can a tuna symbolize God; in addition, how can a plum symbolize virginity??

You can write sooo many issues in the work of literature such as LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bisex and Transexual), mental disorder, racism, cultural shock, orientalism, and so on, basically, you can write about anything.


So what makes literature different from other pop books? It is the hidden messages. Every literary works always has a hidden meaning that the writer tries to convey. But that is the fun part. People may not have the same opinion about the hidden meaning, but as long as you can proof your answer, your answer is correct.

Literature helps us widen our perception, to see the world we never see, to imagine things, to learn something, to get something, and to do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment